FCT Minister Takes Free Medical Outreach To Kogi Senatorial Districts
The FCT Minister of State, Dr Ramatu Aliyu, has extended the integrated free medical outreach to the vulnerable groups in hard-to-reach communities in the three senatorial districts of Kogi State.
Aliyu was quoted to have disclosed this in a statement signed by his Special Assisatant on Media, Mr Austine Elemue on Thursday in Abuja.
The minister, while inaugurating the programme in Lokoja, explained that it was part of efforts toward the provision of quality primary healthcare to the vulnerable groups in the state.
The minister reiterated her commitment towards the provision of good quality, high impact Primary Health Care (PHC) services to women and children.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the free integrated medical outreach has been the flagship programme of Nigerians Unite for Tinubu/Shettima Mandate and targeted at the vulnerables in rural communities.
Aliyu noted that the healthcare delivery was one of the key programmes of President Muhammadu Buhari led administration to provide citizens, particularly women and children, high impact Primary Health Care (PHC) services, as a gateway to achieving the Universal Health Coverage.
He said, “The country in general, and Kogi State in particular, has witnessed significant improvements in infrastructural upgrades and healthcare service delivery in this current dispensation.
“I can assure you that a Tinubu led administration will implement, expand and improve upon the structures that have been delivered, in line with the continuity agenda of the All Progressives Congress (APC) led government.”
The minister explained that the two key strategies in the delivery of Primary Health Care (PHC) scheme were the facility based and the mobile/outreach approaches.
She stressed that overtime, emphasis had been on facility-based services which could give about 40 per cent coverage of those in need, while the remaining 60 per cent could be achieved through focused integrated outreach services.
“Accordingly, the flag off today of this medical outreach programme, which is powered by the support group, Nigerians Unite for Tinubu/Shettima is expected to, among other benefits, strengthen immunisation and PHC service outputs through integration, particularly in the underserved, low performing communities of the State.
“I want to assure all of you that the Tinubu/Shettima’s Renewed Hope 2023 Action Plan for a better Nigeria will deliver on its mandate, based on their promises and commitment to serve Nigeria.
“It is no longer news that they have done it before and we are sure that by the grace of Allah, they can do it again and again,” Aliyu said.
She said that it was a common knowledge that none of the other presidential candidates could move Nigeria forward better than Bola Tinubu when it comes to track records of service delivery.
Aliyu, therefore, appealed to royal fathers, religious and traditional leaders, stakeholders and other well-meaning Nigerians to support and elect Bola Tinubu as the next President come Feb. 25.
Responding, one of the beneficiaries of the free integrated medical outreach, Malam Muhammad Abdullahi, commended the group, Nigerians Unite for Tinubu/Shettima Mandate for the intervention.
Abdullahi stressed that the move would go along way to assist the less privileged in the society.
“I came here for eye screening, and I am happy with what I saw on ground. Let me commend this initiative of Nigerians Unite for Tinubu/Shettima, gears toward assisting the vulnerable group in the society.
“I say this because there are many people in both rural and urban communities who cannot afford the least healthcare in view of the present economic realities. But, this intervention will go along way to assist,” he said.
The areas of interventions include health education and promotion; treatment of common illnesses; vaccination of under-five years old children; pregnant women and distribution of family planning commodities.
Others include screening for non-communicable diseases, such as hypertension, diabetes, routine eye screening and screening for malnutrition, referral services, amongst others.